Decrease Cardiovascular Deaths
MaineHealth remains focused on managing risk factors to prevent cardiovascular disease and maximizing the quality of care of patients who have cardiovascular disease.
Age-adjusted cardiovascular death rates have been declining in Maine and the U.S. since 2000 however recently rates in the U.S. have stabelized and in Maine rates have shown a slight uptick. Reductions in cardiovascular mortality can be attributed, in part, to advances in clinical treatments and improved quality of evidence-based care provided. Increases in Mainer's healthy eating and active living habits, as well as the reduced prevalence of tobacco use in Maine, have also contributed to this decline in mortality. Continued focus on reducing high blood pressure and high cholesterol is critical to continuing the reduction in cardiovascular mortality.
- Train providers on accurate blood pressure measurement.
- Reach agreement on treatment guidelines for hypertension and cholesterol levels.
- Implement guidelines for cardiovascular disease across healthcare settings and within health systems.
- Monitor, educate and engage patients in care.
- Train First Responders on treatment guidelines.
- Expand access to:
- Cardiac rehabilitation
- Affordable medications
- Ventricular devices
- Implement evidence-based programs such as:
- National Diabetes Prevention Program
- Million Hearts Program
- DASH diet
- CPR training
- Expand access to Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs)
- Advocate for policy and environmental changes that support cardiovascular health.
Ten Modifiable Health Risk Factors Are Linked To More Than One-Fifth Of Employer-Employee Health Care Spending
The Burden of Cardiovascular Disease in Maine 2012
The Foods You ChooseMore...
This booklet, developed by MaineHealth, provides information for adults on healthy food choices.
Video: Oxford County MovesMore...
This video was developed to tell the story of Oxford County Moves as part of the Learning Collaborative made up by all of the Community Transformation Grant for Small Communities grantees within the Hometown Partnership. It provides an overview of the project's aims, activities, and outcomes.
Waldo County Reentry Center GardenMore...
Reentry Center Garden resources - basic information on the Waldo County Reentry Center Garden and the work that is being done to help feed the community.
Waldo Fresh: Farmer SurveyMore...
Attached are the data and findings from the Waldo Fresh Farmer Survey.