One strategy to both prevent and reduce obesity, in youth and adults, is to increase the consumption of fruits and vegetables
Obese youth are more likely to have risk factors for cardiovascular disease, such as high cholesterol or high blood pressure.
Obese adolescents are more likely to have prediabetes, a condition in which blood glucose levels indicate a high risk for development of diabetes.
Children and adolescents who are obese are at greater risk for bone and joint problems, sleep apnea, and social and psychological problems such as stigmatization and poor self-esteem.
Children and adolescents who are obese are likely to be obese as adults.
Overweight and obesity are associated with increased risk for many types of cancer, including cancer of the breast, colon, endometrium, esophagus, kidney, pancreas, gall bladder, thyroid, ovary, cervix, and prostate, as well as multiple myeloma and Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
- Provide and expand standardized assessments for adults and children.
- Identify those at higher risk for overweight, obesity and related diseases.
- Implement patient interventions and treatment plans.
- Improve patient/family engagement in treatment options and care plan.
- Improve community engagement in interventions.
- Implement evidence-based programs and promising practices.
- Implement policy and environmental changes that expand access to physical activity and healthy eating among adults, youth and children.
- Built Environment
- Align reimbursement policy to support prevention and intervention efforts.
State Indicator Report on Fruits and Vegetables, 2013
Ten Modifiable Health Risk Factors Are Linked To More Than One-Fifth Of Employer-Employee Health Care Spending
The American Profile: Weight Gained Over the Last 20 Years
The Foods You ChooseMore...
This booklet, developed by MaineHealth, provides information for adults on healthy food choices.
The Future Costs of Obesity
The Future Costs of Obesity: National and State Estimates of the Impact of Obesity on Direct Health Care Expenses
Video: Oxford County MovesMore...
This video was developed to tell the story of Oxford County Moves as part of the Learning Collaborative made up by all of the Community Transformation Grant for Small Communities grantees within the Hometown Partnership. It provides an overview of the project's aims, activities, and outcomes.
Waldo County Reentry Center GardenMore...
Reentry Center Garden resources - basic information on the Waldo County Reentry Center Garden and the work that is being done to help feed the community.
Waldo Fresh: Farmer SurveyMore...
Attached are the data and findings from the Waldo Fresh Farmer Survey.